Cookies are required for login or registration. Please read and agree to our cookie policy to continue.

Newest Member: Ncg88

New Beginnings :
I know better, but

Topic is Sleeping.

befuddledhubbie (original poster member #43990) posted at 2:31 AM on Monday, February 1st, 2021

So as the title suggests. I know that because I'm asking the question I already know its not a great idea.

But I'm getting ahead of myself.

I haven't been on here in years, but long story short after my divorce I've been living with family and trying my best to work on me and be there for my DD as much as the parenting plan allows.

Even though I haven't worked on new romantic relationships, I'm not desperate to be in one. So that's not a factor in the issue at hand.

The ex-WW is leaving her husband. She has a little boy with him. When she was getting DD today she dropped a little bombshell that I want to run by you fine folks.

She has to move out of her current place by April. Plans to get a house in town. She asked me about the possibility of me renting the basement of the New place.

I don't know how I feel about it. She hasn't done the work for us to try and reconcile. And I see it as a ploy to try and see if we could work again.

As long as I think with the right head I know there's no chance of us being a thing again.

The positives? I'd be out of my parents place and I'd get more time with my daughter.

Go ahead and proceed to dump buckets of ice water on my head.

BH 32 DD 7
xww- broke, divorcing POSer

Divorced April 2015

NB coming soon to a Fud near you

I like the story of the prodigal son, but he didn't screw the pigs.

posts: 412   ·   registered: Jul. 6th, 2014   ·   location: Michigan
id 8629530

Chili ( member #35503) posted at 2:38 AM on Monday, February 1st, 2021

My first jaded thought was she wants you to be a built-in babysitter, handyman, and rent contributor.

And you're a safe landing place.

How would the visitation thing work with her STBX? Just so many questions.

The boundaries with that entire thing would be way too much for me to even contemplate.

So that's an "Eeek" from me.

2012 pretty much sucked.
Things no longer suck.
Took off flying solo with the co-pilot chili dog.
"Life teaches you how to live it if you live long enough" - Tony Bennett

posts: 2235   ·   registered: May. 2nd, 2012   ·   location: Reality
id 8629532

EllieKMAS ( member #68900) posted at 2:42 AM on Monday, February 1st, 2021

I totally get wanting more time with your DD. But that's a hard pass from me dawg. I fear that would blur a lot of lines for you that should remain clear. Just my 0.02.

"No, it's you mothafucka, here's a list of reasons why." – Iliza Schlesinger

"The love that you lost isn't worth what it cost and in time you'll be glad that it's gone." – Linkin Park

posts: 3901   ·   registered: Nov. 22nd, 2018   ·   location: Louisiana
id 8629535

JanaGreen ( member #29341) posted at 2:44 AM on Monday, February 1st, 2021

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

posts: 9505   ·   registered: Aug. 17th, 2010   ·   location: Southeast US
id 8629537

befuddledhubbie (original poster member #43990) posted at 2:55 AM on Monday, February 1st, 2021

Yeah, she dropped this on me at 5pm today. Still a little shell shocked to be honest.

Wanna hear the kicker? She mentioned she would need about 8k to put down on it and that she's asking all the people in her life for help, including yours truly

She still owes me money for one of the marital cars I had to pay off.

Now, to reverse this a little bit. I have been saving for my own place and I did entertain the idea of a duplex or something and giving her mom a fair rate. Rent is above market value in our area.

Does that sound any better? The way she usually does her finances, i imagine I'd have to evict her and would I be able to do that? Ugh, its just bad either way.

BH 32 DD 7

Divorced April 2015

id 8629538

EllieKMAS ( member #68900) posted at 3:01 AM on Monday, February 1st, 2021

Again I'm just giving you my honest opinion here, but all of that has disaster written on it in giant letters. Get your own place yes. But not a good idea at all to enmesh yourself in her mess any further except where necessary for your kid.

You know that methinks.

"No, it's you mothafucka, here's a list of reasons why." – Iliza Schlesinger

"The love that you lost isn't worth what it cost and in time you'll be glad that it's gone." – Linkin Park

posts: 3901   ·   registered: Nov. 22nd, 2018   ·   location: Louisiana
id 8629539

Justsomeguy ( member #65583) posted at 4:00 AM on Monday, February 1st, 2021

Please take this in the spirit it is given.

FUCK NO!

Good luck with your decision

I'm certain you will find your way.

I'm an oulier in my positions.

Me:55 STBXWW:55 DD#1: false confession of EA Dec. 2016. False R for a year.DD#2: confessed to year long PA Dec. 2 2017 (was about to be outed)Called it off and filed. Denied having an affair in court papers.

Divorced 20

posts: 1849   ·   registered: Jul. 25th, 2018   ·   location: Canada
id 8629547

Lalagirl ( member #14576) posted at 3:54 PM on Monday, February 1st, 2021

Nope.

Nopity, nopity, nope nope nope!

JMHO

Me-58 FWH-60 Married 40 years 9/2/2023 grown daughters-40&36.14yo GS,11yo GD & 9yo GD (DD40); 12yo GD & 7yo GD(DD36). D-day #1-1/06; D-day #2-3/07 Reconciled! Construction Complete. Astra inclinant, sed non obligant

id 8629652

devotedman ( member #45441) posted at 4:37 PM on Monday, February 1st, 2021

No. You got divorced for a reason. That reason is still there, so she shouldn't be.

Stay apart. As you get farther out the reasoning brings that will become pellucidly clear.

Me: 2xBS b 1962 xWW after 2 decades, xWGF after almost 1.
Amelia Pond: Who are you?
The Doctor: I don't know yet. I'm still cooking.
ENFP-A. Huh.

posts: 5155   ·   registered: Oct. 30th, 2014   ·   location: Central USA
id 8629670

HalfTime2017 ( member #64366) posted at 5:13 PM on Monday, February 1st, 2021

And what are you to do when she comes home every day with a different man?

You know that she is only asking you to be a contributor. She has no thought of getting back together, or for you to be able to spend more time with your DD. Its all about her.

I'd also not purchase a duplex and let her mom rent one unit. Stay away from shitty people. She's shown you who she is, so believe her.

posts: 1424   ·   registered: Jul. 5th, 2018   ·   location: Cali
id 8629685

Shockedmom ( member #44708) posted at 5:32 PM on Monday, February 1st, 2021

You do know better. Your resentment will overcome you and life will become unbearable.

posts: 1094   ·   registered: Aug. 31st, 2014   ·   location: Hawaii
id 8629693

twicefooled ( member #42976) posted at 5:45 PM on Monday, February 1st, 2021

No. No. No. No. No.

You can always offer to take DD while she looks for a place. Past behavior (especially if they don't do the work) are an excellent indicator of future behavior. She's screwed you over in many ways and will continue to do so unless you put a stop to it.

Once you let her in, good luck getting her out again. Ask yourself if the hassle is worth it.

May 29 2021 ***reclaimed myself and decided to delete my story with my ex because I'm now 7 years free from him and mentally healthier than I've been in years.

*********When you know better, you can do better*************

id 8629700

skeetermooch ( member #72169) posted at 5:49 PM on Monday, February 1st, 2021

She just wants to use you. While there is the benefit of being with your daughter - 8k to be in the basement, listening her baby wail and her bed bounce when she hooks up with the next idiot - just no. Save your money and if you want, you can buy or rent a house down the street from wherever she ends up and have more time with your daughter. Don't let her use you again.

Me: BS 56 on DDay 1 - 7/2019 DIVORCED - 1/2021

id 8629701

befuddledhubbie (original poster member #43990) posted at 6:32 PM on Monday, February 1st, 2021

I asked, you answered. Only reason I entertained the thought is coparenting improved as we got further out from d-day and the divorce. Of course I've been maintaining NC except as schooling/medical for DD required it.

Her monkeys belong in her circus, not mine.

Thanks for the splash of reality.

BH 32 DD 7

Divorced April 2015

id 8629715

SallyShrink81 ( member #50219) posted at 2:22 AM on Tuesday, February 2nd, 2021

I'm going to go against the grain here.

While I think renting out a basement would for sure be a shit show. I think that a duplex and healthy boundaries/rules could be great. If I am correct your youngest is still pretty young and being able to see mom and dad whenever could be great plus not having to schlep their stuff all over the city. It's been 5 years since your D and it sounds like the two of you are amicable enough. My only concerns are do you still have feelings for her that it would bother you to see her with another man? If you get said duplex and it doesn't work out with EWW would it be fairly easy to find another renter?

Good luck!

FBS now surviving and thriving
2 kiddos born 2011 & 2014
"If a woman steals your husband, she might as well steal your shoes too, because one day she'll be walking in them." #karma

posts: 909   ·   registered: Nov. 4th, 2015   ·   location: Michigan
id 8629828

grubs ( member #77165) posted at 5:17 AM on Tuesday, February 2nd, 2021

I think that a duplex and healthy boundaries/rules could be great.

That'll only work if you are prepared to either eat the loss or evict her when necessary. It's kind of a rule of mine to only due business with friends and family, if I'm willing to consider the transactions a gift. I'm not sure that works well with exs.

id 8629884

Anna123 ( member #70908) posted at 1:51 PM on Tuesday, February 2nd, 2021

#1 If you rent the duplex, assume they will become squatters and you will be supporting them. You need to build a savings beyond a home, retirement, college etc. instead. It is your responsibility to care for yourself and your child, not your ex and her family.

#2 Her asking you and anyone else for money is COMPLETELY inappropriate. She can ask family to borrow and pay back on schedule but friends and you? That is pretty low budget. Keep away.

#3 The reason the exchanges and parallel-parenting are working is because you are SEPARATE. Once together, the odds are this goes downhill fast.

#4 Say good-bye to dating that perfect woman you meet when she finds out you are living in your ex'es basement. I know I won't be dating any man living in the same home as his ex. Living with family while saving is respectable and logical. Living in exes basement, that would be a red-flag for any potential partner.

I know what you mean looking for the buckets of ice water! We've all been there at one point or another. You can go ahead and continue to trust your gut and your mind.

posts: 680   ·   registered: Jul. 1st, 2019   ·   location: USA
id 8629932

fooled13years ( member #49028) posted at 5:51 PM on Tuesday, February 2nd, 2021

befuddledhubbie,

I know of a few, not many, people on here that have a good mutual and cordial relationship with their Ex spouse that something like this might work.

As you have reservations about this I would advise you to keep your relationship with your DD's mother the way it is.

The risk/reward ratio doesn't seem to work in your favor.

I removed myself from infidelity and am happy again.

id 8629998

Chaos ( member #61031) posted at 7:13 PM on Tuesday, February 2nd, 2021

NO. Bottom line just NO.

She's relegating you to Plan B in the Basement.

You are smarter than this.

PS - when you say NO you don't have to respond to any of her other crap like "why" "don't you think it a good idea" "it would be so nice of DD" and variation on a theme.

BS-me/WH-4.5yrLTA Married 2+ decades - Children (1 still at home) Multiple DDays w/same AP until I told OBS 2018 Cease & Desist sent spring 2021"Hello–My name is Chaos–You f***ed my husband-Prepare to Die!"

posts: 3839   ·   registered: Oct. 13th, 2017   ·   location: East coast
id 8630021

little turtle ( member #15584) posted at 7:54 PM on Tuesday, February 2nd, 2021

Hey I remember you!

Yeah... that's a little too close to your XW. When I was looking for a house to move a few years ago. I completely avoided XH's entire neighborhood. It was too close for me!! I didn't want the kids to be able to go from one house to the other independently.

Anyway, nice to see ya! Continue to save up and get a place without your XW.

Failure is success if we learn from it.

posts: 5619   ·   registered: Aug. 1st, 2007   ·   location: michigan
id 8630033
Topic is Sleeping.
Cookies on SurvivingInfidelity.com®

SurvivingInfidelity.com® uses cookies to enhance your visit to our website. This is a requirement for participants to login, post and use other features. Visitors may opt out, but the website will be less functional for you.

v.1.001.20240905a 2002-2024 SurvivingInfidelity.com® All Rights Reserved. • Privacy Policy