Cookies are required for login or registration. Please read and agree to our cookie policy to continue.

Newest Member: Ncg88

New Beginnings :
I am now "that person"

Topic is Sleeping.

deena04 (original poster member #41741) posted at 12:22 AM on Thursday, February 4th, 2021

The person who goes so slow in her relationship that I get questioned by friends "what's wrong with him, he seems perfect"....yeah, he pretty much is a gem, but I don't want to rush or even speedwalk. I'm still with the same gentleman that is friends with my brother that I've known since I was old enough to ride a bicycle. He's still calm, wonderful, leaves his phone not locked and randomly wherever it drops, his computer is open, and he's great with my kids. Ex is still ex

Is something wrong with me that I don't feel the need to move forward quicker than we are moving? Guy says my pace is fine, he gets it. No pressure, just us being us. We are together basically every night. He keeps his place, but I think only his adult child has slept there since.....I don't know when. He said he will sell when I say I am keeping him. Until that day, we chug along. Why am I terrified to actually take a bigger leap?

[This message edited by deena04 at 6:23 PM, February 3rd (Wednesday)]

[This message edited by deena04 at 12:23 AM, Thursday, February 4th]

Me FBS 40s, Him XWS older than me (lovemywife4ever), D, He cheated before M, forgot to tell me. I’m free and loving life.

posts: 3335   ·   registered: Dec. 22nd, 2013   ·   location: Midwest
id 8630369

Chili ( member #35503) posted at 12:39 AM on Thursday, February 4th, 2021

Hey deena!

Well...I come from the hard-earned place at my age that says we get to define what our relationships are between the participants.

So what does a "bigger leap" mean exactly?

Do you mean with your heart? Or with logistics?

I know people who have wonderful years-long arrangements that don't include residing in the same space. I know people who live together who aren't married and don't share finances. I also know a married couple who owns houses next to each other.

And we all know people who are married who have taken "all the leaps" and are miserable.

I mean...it took me a long time to get to a place of such broad options that have nothing to do with that good commitment-of-the-heart stuff. My Mom was raised in a generation that if dating wasn't leading to courting, then your only option was pretty much to move along.

So...to shut out the friends' noise (which probably just comes from a place of wanting all good things for you)...do you feel like anything is "wrong?"

Or is it maybe just some "should" stuff bouncing around in there?

2012 pretty much sucked.
Things no longer suck.
Took off flying solo with the co-pilot chili dog.
"Life teaches you how to live it if you live long enough" - Tony Bennett

posts: 2235   ·   registered: May. 2nd, 2012   ·   location: Reality
id 8630376

skeetermooch ( member #72169) posted at 12:50 AM on Thursday, February 4th, 2021

You don't say how long you've been dating but either way it sounds like a pretty sweet set up to me. If you're both happy why rock the boat?

Me: BS 56 on DDay 1 - 7/2019 DIVORCED - 1/2021

id 8630378

deena04 (original poster member #41741) posted at 12:56 AM on Thursday, February 4th, 2021

It has been a couple years, so nothing crazy long, but I’m starting to get asked by friends about the long-term. I’m ok with exactly what I have right now. I don’t think I’ll ever marry again. Friends laugh at that one since I’m in my 40’s and more middle aged than later aged. It’s just where I’ve come from and what I am willing to deal with.

[This message edited by deena04 at 11:20 PM, February 3rd (Wednesday)]

Me FBS 40s, Him XWS older than me (lovemywife4ever), D, He cheated before M, forgot to tell me. I’m free and loving life.

id 8630379

wildbananas ( member #10552) posted at 4:39 AM on Thursday, February 4th, 2021

If it makes you feel better, SO and I are coming up on 8 years. We live on the same street, three houses apart. I have zero interest in living together or marrying. If I ever get all the people out of my house, I want to live alone for a while, if not forever. I never have and it's important to me to do so. I've told him this and he is totally on board.

Your relationship can look however you want it to. smile

Travel light, live light, spread the light, be the light. ~ Yogi Bhajan

posts: 16592   ·   registered: May. 1st, 2006   ·   location: Somewhere
id 8630405

EvenKeel ( member #24210) posted at 2:05 PM on Thursday, February 4th, 2021

but I’m starting to get asked by friends about the long-term. I’m ok with exactly what I have right now. I don’t think I’ll ever marry again.

Maybe your answer is this IS long-term for you. You are in a committed relationship with a wonderful man.

Maybe you will decide this is what you want. Even though he is basically living there - there is always the back-up of his house. My mom's husband kept his house (then ended up renting it out ultimately) for decades before she was comfortable selling it. Others sell that house but the deal is that money goes right into savings so no one ever feels stuck. Even if they are in it for the long haul...just knowing that soothes their anxiety.

I am with you. I see no reason to remarry again. Me and SO are in a mono, committed relationship for the long haul.

Don't let anyone pressure you! If you and your BF are good with this, what is it to them?

posts: 6921   ·   registered: May. 31st, 2009   ·   location: Pennsylvania
id 8630462

EllieKMAS ( member #68900) posted at 2:43 PM on Thursday, February 4th, 2021

Sooo lemme see if I got this... You're in a relationship that you enjoy with a good guy. Said guy enjoys you too and you and he and kids are all happy with the way things are yes? Does that sum it up?

If that's a yes, then why on earth would you change anything right now?

As for your 'friends'... wow, they don't sound very supportive. They see you happy and still try to make you feel defective about it? Yeah, I'd be telling them they can either get on board with supporting you or they can leave. Also I'd tell them to mind their own side of the street and stop looking for garbage on your side.

"No, it's you mothafucka, here's a list of reasons why." – Iliza Schlesinger

"The love that you lost isn't worth what it cost and in time you'll be glad that it's gone." – Linkin Park

posts: 3901   ·   registered: Nov. 22nd, 2018   ·   location: Louisiana
id 8630476

twicefooled ( member #42976) posted at 3:13 PM on Thursday, February 4th, 2021

It's scary because the majority of us on this site DID take the "all in" plunge and, well, here we are.

I am in my mid-40s with 2 teens and my youngest will be an adult in less than 4 yrs. It's been just us for the past 7 yrs. I have zero interest in cohabitating with anyone else's children or blending families with my own. We've been through enough.

I've had a few relationships where my views of no cohabitating made them move on from me. And I'm just fine with that.

I'm now dating a wonderful man on the same page as me. His children are a few years younger than mine so he will have kids at home far longer than I will. He understands that our relationship will be under 2 roofs for the next decade or so and he's just fine with that.

Personally, I give zero fucks about what anyone else thinks of how I conduct my relationships. For any friends that tell you stuff like that, offer them up the chance to go ahead and date them instead lol.

May 29 2021 ***reclaimed myself and decided to delete my story with my ex because I'm now 7 years free from him and mentally healthier than I've been in years.

*********When you know better, you can do better*************

id 8630487

tushnurse ( member #21101) posted at 3:22 PM on Thursday, February 4th, 2021

Deena - There is nothing wrong with you other than the trauma you sustained with your X.

If your Man is happy with the situation, then F everyone else and their opinion. Seriously. It's between you and him and NO ONE else matters.

Enjoy your current situation, and enjoy your life.

Personally I would NEVER EVER EVER get married again. Just no.

Me: FBSHim: FWSKids: 23 & 27 Married for 32 years now, was 16 at the time.D-Day Sept 26 2008R'd in about 2 years. Old Vet now.

posts: 20243   ·   registered: Oct. 1st, 2008   ·   location: St. Louis
id 8630495

The1stWife ( Guide #58832) posted at 3:55 PM on Thursday, February 4th, 2021

You do what works for you.

Period.

Survived two affairs and brink of Divorce. Happily reconciled. 10 years out from Dday. Reconciliation takes two committed people to be successful.

id 8630511

newlife03 ( member #56527) posted at 5:03 PM on Thursday, February 4th, 2021

@wildbananas:

I never have and it's important to me to do so.

That's me! I went from living with parents to living with xWH. When we D'd I had three little ones living with me full time. Youngest DD will be flying the coop in a few months, two older kiddos are on their own already. It's important to me to live on my own, even if for a little while, before taking the next step of living with SO. I wanted to buy my own home but with DD2's graduation and a potential for DD1 to get married that's where my dollars are going. I have a lot of CC debt that I'm slowly working on, but a house may never happen for me. Still, I'd like to be alone just to know that I can do it.

@deena04:

It works for you right now, and that's all you need to tell anyone if they ask. I'm in the same boat (been with SO a little longer) and things work the way they are right now. It may change in a year, it may not. But if you're both good with what you have, I don't think you need to worry about it.

Me - 50
Kids 25, 22, 18
1st DDay in 2006, 2nd in 2007
D in 2009
Happily Committed to SO since 2011

posts: 657   ·   registered: Dec. 22nd, 2016   ·   location: ID
id 8630531

crazyblindsided ( member #35215) posted at 5:44 PM on Thursday, February 4th, 2021

I think your situation sounds lovely. There is no reason to add any pressure or expectations to it.

I would just tell my friends there is nothing wrong and we are both very happy.

I sure enjoyed the responses to this post, helps me with my own feelings of not wanting to get married or co-habitate with another again. I enjoy my freedom without any complications right now. I also do not want to compromise with another person either, maybe when the right person comes along I will change my mind. So far even dating is off the list for me I can't even do that

fBS/fWS(me):51 Mad-hattered after DD (2008)
XWS:53 Serial Cheater, Diagnosed NPD
DD(21) DS(18)
XWS cheated the entire M spanning 19 years
Discovered D-Days 2006,2008,2012, False R 2014
Divorced 8/8/24

posts: 8865   ·   registered: Apr. 2nd, 2012   ·   location: California
id 8630540

barcher144 ( member #54935) posted at 7:14 PM on Thursday, February 4th, 2021

You get to do whatever YOU want.

Why am I terrified to actually take a bigger leap?

This is a stupid question, but I mean that in the nicest way possible. Who cares why? If you don't want to take the leap, then don't.

Me: Crap, I'm 50 years old. D-Day: August 30, 2016. Two years of false reconciliation. Divorce final: Feb 1, 2021. Re-married: December 3, 2022.

id 8630553

Karmafan ( member #53810) posted at 7:54 PM on Thursday, February 4th, 2021

Deena04, he’s already sleeping at yours most nights, and he’s happy with the arrangement. If he’s not putting pressure on you, why should you put pressure on yourself? You do what works for you, nobody else.

You can see from this thread (and others!) that a lot of us wouldn’t dream of cohabiting, sharing our newly found space, sacrificing our hard earned freedom. That doesn’t mean we have given up on love or finding the one. It just means that we have adjusted our expectations, and needs, based on all that we have learned, and become.

If and when you are ready to go ‘all in’, you’ll just know it. It will feel right. Stressing about it won’t make it any quicker.

Me 48 XWH Irrelevant D-day 23 Feb 163 amazing, resilient kids

You are not a drop in the Ocean, you are the entire Ocean in a drop

posts: 639   ·   registered: Jun. 23rd, 2016   ·   location: UK
id 8630563

Catwoman ( member #1330) posted at 9:42 PM on Thursday, February 4th, 2021

There are no rules that say you have to co-habitate after X amount of time. None.

If you're happy with the arrangement, keep it.

My SO of nearly 11 years and I don't cohabitate.

Cat

FBS: Married 20 years, 2 daughters 27 and 24. Divorced by the grace of GOD.
D-Days: 2/23/93; 10/11/97; 3/5/03
Ex & OW Broke up 12-10
"An erection does not count as personal growth."

posts: 33182   ·   registered: Apr. 5th, 2003   ·   location: Ohio
id 8630589

Chrysalis123 ( member #27148) posted at 12:25 AM on Friday, February 5th, 2021

it sounds like a pretty sweet set up to me. If you're both happy why rock the boat?

Someone I once loved gave me/ a box full of darkness/ It took me years to understand/ That this, too, was a gift. - Mary Oliver

Just for the record darling, not all positive changes feel positive in the beginning -S C Lourie

id 8630622

deena04 (original poster member #41741) posted at 12:27 AM on Friday, February 5th, 2021

Thanks all. I think I pressure myself from society"norms" and that's where the friends are coming from. My closest friends get me and have no problem with my arrangement. It's more the other friends/people I have known forever or through work or whatever that ask, in a well-meaning fashion I am sure, when we will cement it or what is next. I notice my breathing increase ten fold when the M word comes up, so I try not to go there. It's yet another reason my ex is my EX and not my NOW. We are content with our NOW and it's lovely.

[This message edited by deena04 at 6:28 PM, February 4th (Thursday)]

id 8630624

JanaGreen ( member #29341) posted at 9:07 PM on Friday, February 5th, 2021

I like living with my boyfriend, other than feeling like the house is a bit small for all of us. But Lord have mercy why would I want to get married? Neither of us has any interest in that.

posts: 9505   ·   registered: Aug. 17th, 2010   ·   location: Southeast US
id 8630931

phmh ( member #34146) posted at 4:10 PM on Saturday, February 6th, 2021

I am quite shocked that people say something to you! I've been with my SO for over 5 years and we both live alone about 20 min away from each other. No one has ever asked if we plan to get married or move in together, at least as far as I can recall. I've had conversations with my closest friends about it, but from people who are acquaintances or friends in an outer circle? Never! Don't let them or societal norms make you feel like there is something wrong with you! Geeze - some people just apparently want to stir up trouble :(

Me: BW, divorced, now fabulous and happy!

Married: 11 years, no kids

Character is destiny

id 8631127
Topic is Sleeping.
Cookies on SurvivingInfidelity.com®

SurvivingInfidelity.com® uses cookies to enhance your visit to our website. This is a requirement for participants to login, post and use other features. Visitors may opt out, but the website will be less functional for you.

v.1.001.20240905a 2002-2024 SurvivingInfidelity.com® All Rights Reserved. • Privacy Policy