Cookies are required for login or registration. Please read and agree to our cookie policy to continue.

Newest Member: Ncg88

General :
Why is my ex suddenly a better mom to our kids? Should we not

Topic is Sleeping.

HurtAndBroken531 (original poster new member #83478) posted at 5:46 PM on Tuesday, April 16th, 2024

I don't interact with my ex much. I try to minimize it as much as possible. Switch off's happen via school and we only talk logistics about the kids. I'm still very much in a feeling of hate and anger towards her and the AP and I don't ever want to speak or see her if I don't have to.

That being said, we both still send snapchats to our families. Her family has a snapchat group and mine does and we always try to send snaps to both families. Recently it seems like she's been a really good mom. Something she wasn't before. She was so distant and closed off and now suddenly she's the mom she should have been during our marriage? It's just confusing. Her older sister, who is only of the only family members she still speaks to *(I talk to her parents and younger sister more than she does) says that she claims that her AP makes her happy and that he understands her completely. So as fucked up as it is that things happened the way they did, is it possible this is what needed for her to happen to be a better mom to my kids?

Being with me just wasn't enough apparently and so now that she's with someone else she can be the mom she should have been?

I'm struggling with this idea that she felt so badly about our relationship that she couldn't be present and happy but now that she's with someone else she can be. I'm still left to pick up the pieces of my life and I know I'm in no shape to be with someone so I feel very alone having no one to talk to or no one to share the joys of parenting with while she has a person to do that with.

I recognize that both things can be true (how she handled things were so bad and yet her new situation could make her a better parent) and so really we shouldn't have been together?

I'm just confused.

posts: 38   ·   registered: Jun. 15th, 2023   ·   location: USA
id 8833694

hikingout ( member #59504) posted at 6:03 PM on Tuesday, April 16th, 2024

Nah, you didn’t impede her.

My guess it’s one of two things and most likely a combo of both:

She is busy still showing this ap how great she is so she is putting on a show.

She feels guilty about changing the kids world in this divorce and she is trying to overcompensate.

And maybe too, she is trying to compete to win them back.

Look, happiness is a state of mind. She is choosing to be happy (likely propping herself up with a myriad of false pretenses) she could have chosen to be happy when she was married to you.

People don’t make other people happy. They can help provide an environment for that, but people make themselves happy. If she chose to sulk and not be present for your kids that has zero to do with you. If she is happy because she believes the ap makes her happy then that is doomed.

7 years of hard work - WS and BS - Reconciled

posts: 7479   ·   registered: Jul. 5th, 2017   ·   location: Arizona
id 8833695

Shehawk ( member #68741) posted at 6:38 PM on Tuesday, April 16th, 2024

I would not trust social media to be an accurate portrayal of how anyone’s ex wayward spouse (or anyone for that matter) is actually doing. Some people are good at putting up a good image of themselves for others to see.

No matter what my ex WH is doing with his life or posts about his life, I find that my life improves when I focus on taking exquisite care of myself physically, emotionally, spiritually. I understand what it is like to be horrifically betrayed. I know what it is like to be angry. I try to deal with this situation and my emotions around it not for my exWH’s sake but to keep myself from missing out on my current and future joy and what I heard recently called "glimmers" (of hope, joy, healing..).
Also I am not going to give him the satisfaction of what he did killing me from a heart attack or ruining my life. I am aiming for indifference towards exWH. The same sort of feeling I would have if I heard on the news about a celebrity cheating and then posting pics of how happy and successful they are…

I wish you peace and healing.

Ps I have found the only way to determine if the problem is really me is to give life a go and see what happens. So far I am healed a lot through some really hard work and am in a healthy post infidelity relationship where I am happy and there is no cheating.

At least one of EXWH’s ex "girlfriends" apparently dumped him for…wait for it…cheating. There are former waywards on this site who have worked very hard to heal their relationships and become safe partners. Apparently though exwh is still what I refer to as "unsafe at any speed" at least for more than one woman now. And of course it is all her fault according to him…

"It's a slow fade...when you give yourself away" so don't do it!

posts: 1712   ·   registered: Nov. 5th, 2018   ·   location: US
id 8833699

emergent8 ( Guide #58189) posted at 8:49 PM on Tuesday, April 16th, 2024

I think you can cultivate whatever image you want to cultivate about yourself with social media. That doesn't mean it's reality. She likely has extra incentive at the moment to prove something to you, your families, and your kids. Perhaps most importantly, she probably has a lot of incentive to prove to herself that breaking up her family was the right choice. It's self-justification in order to avoid cognitive dissonance.

Cognitive dissonance is that unpleasant feeling that occurs when our actions contrast with our ideas, beliefs, morals, or feelings. It is bothersome in any circumstances, but especially when our concept of self is threatened. When this happens, we feel the need to justify our decision in order to save our sense of self. We've all done it to some degree when making an expensive purchase for example - afterwards to avoid the guilt/negative emotions of spending that much money, we tell ourselves that it was totally worth it and that we are happy to have done so, because the purchase was necessary has all sorts of collateral benefits, etc.

In your ex's case, she made a major decision that has a lot of negative fallout for herself and the people around her. She is a known cheater - and that alone obviously holds some baggage (and is likely contrary to her self-concept of a good person). As such, I'm sure she's desperate to convince herself and others that this was the right choice for her and that you were the one holding her back and that her current life is all roses and rainbows. Maybe she even believes it right now, who knows. I know when my dad left my mom for the AP he certainly had some element of this that looking back felt a bit performative.

New relationship energy is a thing. Everyone is on their best behaviour.
No one is complacent. Eventually though that will come to an end, and the same issues and character flaws (or new ones!) will still be prsent. This is what happened to my dad, the same issues cropped up with his AP that were present in his marriage to my mother, and he recently acknowledged that he was the common denominator in it all and sees now that his unhappiness back then was not because of who he was with. He has a lot of regrets looking back and has since mentioned that he wishes he had done things differently. I'm not sure if your wife is capable of that sort of insight - or if she'd ever admit it if she was - but I think it's probably true.

I know I'm in no shape to be with someone so I feel very alone having no one to talk to or no one to share the joys of parenting with while she has a person to do that with.

This feels very honest and valid and wise. My heart goes out to you - truly. My guess is that some part of her may be feeling the same way you are right now, and that is why she is being so active posting in your family groups because she wants to share with them. I imagine having split custody gives her a break that allows her to be more present/appreciative of the time she does spend with the kids - this is something I've heard from many divorced parents (men and women) that the time away gives them a chance to miss their kids that they didn't have when they were married. I don't think that necessarily means that you never should have been together, but I am not in a position to opine on that in any event. I do know you can't change the past. And also, thos kids of yours that you love, would not exist if you weren't.

Your feelings though, those are valid. Strength to you.

Me: BS. Him: WS.
D-Day: Feb 2017 (8 m PA with married COW).
Happily reconciled.

id 8833716

TrayDee ( member #82906) posted at 10:48 PM on Tuesday, April 16th, 2024

Never underestimate the desperation of wayward spouses to reinforce to the world and themselves that they made the right decision to leave a stable marriage.

They will put on Oscar worthy performances to make it seem like their life is sooo much better, all the while their internal turmoil and fear has them petrified that they may have made the worst decision ever.

However pride and ego dictate they have to make the best of it now.

Being with me just wasn't enough apparently and so now that she's with someone else she can be the mom she should have been?

NO woman suddenly becomes a BETTER mother because of a relationship (some can become WORSE mothers). If that was the case, as soon as the inevitable problems arise in the relationship her level of motherhood would suffer.

She wants to be a better mother to repair the damage SHE did to her kids. This is a noble endeavor but has NOTHING to do with you...other than giving her a convenient place to blame shift.

posts: 54   ·   registered: Feb. 21st, 2023   ·   location: MS
id 8833726

FindingaWayHome ( member #78829) posted at 10:46 PM on Saturday, April 20th, 2024

Hi H and B,

Just checking in on you.
I recall you saying

I don't like the idea that she'll win and that she eventually gets what it is she wanted while blowing my life apart. I need to learn to accept things.

It is hard when other people appear (at least with the leis they present online) to be succeeding, especially when they have done the wrong.

So how are you processing the hurt and emotional rollercoaster?
Are you coping with the anger and resentment and the feeling of being alone?

Are you and your boys adjusting to the new home and lifestyle?
I recall that your youngest was unsettled and "acting out".

Hang in there mate. As many of us do know, it does get better, especially when we are working hard on our personal growth.
Regards,
FAWH

id 8834230
Topic is Sleeping.
Cookies on SurvivingInfidelity.com®

SurvivingInfidelity.com® uses cookies to enhance your visit to our website. This is a requirement for participants to login, post and use other features. Visitors may opt out, but the website will be less functional for you.

v.1.001.20240905a 2002-2024 SurvivingInfidelity.com® All Rights Reserved. • Privacy Policy